May 15, 2020
This week, U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) joined U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) to introduce a resolution to commemorate National Police Week 2020. Additionally, today, May 15, is Peace Officer Memorial Day, a national day to pay tribute to the local, state and federal officers who have died in the line of duty.
“The coronavirus crisis is a reminder of just how truly important the law enforcement community is to the well-being of our nation,” Inhofe said. “While we can never repay them for their daily sacrifice, I am thankful to join this resolution and recognize National Police Week with my colleagues. I want to especially honor the Oklahomans recognized on this year’s Roll Call of Heroes: Sergeant Brian Crain, Jenks Police Department; Undersheriff Monty Johnson, Pawnee County Sheriff’s Office; and the seven officers from Oklahoma who died in previous years, but whose stories of sacrifice were not known until now.
“Thank you to all officers across Oklahoma. You brave the front lines every day so that the rest of us don’t have to. For that, we will be forever grateful.”
· Designates the week of May 10 through May 16, 2020, as ‘‘National Police Week’’;
· expresses unwavering support for law enforcement officers across the United States in the pursuit of preserving safe and secure communities;
· recognizes the need to ensure that law enforcement officers have the equipment, training, and resources that are necessary in order to protect the health and safety of the officers while the officers protect the public;
· recognizes the law enforcement community for continual unseen acts of sacrifice and heroism, especially in the midst of the COVID–19 pandemic crisis faced by the United States;
· acknowledges that police officers and other law enforcement personnel, especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, should be remembered and honored;
· expresses condolences and solemn appreciation to the loved ones of each law enforcement officer who has made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty; and
· encourages the people of the United States to observe National Police Week by honoring law enforcement personnel and promoting awareness of the essential mission that law enforcement personnel undertake in service to their communities and the United States.
The full text of the resolution is here.